School Innovation and Improvement Plan
An at-a glance look at outcome goals for this academic school year
School Innovation and Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
Virginia Run Elementary School
Elizabeth Bumbrey, Principal
English Language Arts Strategies
By Spring 2024, the percent of students in Grades K-3 meeting end of year reading benchmarks will increase by 10 percentage points, as measured by PALS and iReady.
- Improve daily, systematic, explicit instruction in phonological awareness, phonics, and morphology in the core language arts block. (HLP 2)
- Expand use of skills-based grouping to ensure students demonstrate mastery of foundational skills. (HLP 2, 5)
- Increase impact of tier 2 interventions for students demonstrating risk by using FCPS-recommended programs and practices with fidelity (e.g., Lexia, UFLI). (HLP 5)
- By Spring 2024, the percent of EL students in grades 4-6 who meet their growth target on the Mathematics SOL will increase by 10 percent.
- Improve teachers’ implementation of Framework for Engaging & Student-Centered Mathematics Instruction.
- Increase teacher implementation of explicit instruction and other components of effective mathematics intervention.
- Use conversation structures to increase academic talk between students.
Teachers will support students strengthen their overall sense of belonging as evidenced by the SEL screener and reduce Tier 2 & Tier 3 level chronic absenteeism from 16% to 10% or less in the 23-24 school year.
- Create a school culture of engagement & belonging for students and families. Every staff, student, and family will feel safe and connected to the school community.
- Strengthening messaging to staff, students and families around attendance to school. Each stakeholder should be able to understand how daily attendance matters, not only for academic success, but because school offers an opportunity to develop social and emotional skills such as listening, paying attention, problem-solving and self-regulation, all which are needed to grow and learn.
- Strengthen school team practices to monitor attendance data and determine need for intervention and additional support.
For additional information regarding this School Plan, please contact Principal Liz Bumbrey.